Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bodhicitta Bellydancing [Nashville]

So a few weeks ago my friend (who happens to be my Pilates instructor) was doing a yoga dance performance at 12th and Porter and invited us to come. I was curious about what yoga dance is, and even more curious about the headliner, Bodhicitta BellyDance.


Up until this, I didn't know that Nashville had a bellydancing troupe (group? band?), I had never seen bellydancing anywhere but TV/movies, and I had no idea that bellydancing in Nashville had such a big following. The whole audience was doing these tribal... yell/yodel/call things. The music and show was just... mesmerizing. And the girls' costumes were amazing.


I mean, they even had costume changes. And I think you could tell how long everyone had been performing by the amount of cool accoutrements -- jewelry, arm bands, hair flowers, makeup etc. -- they were wearing. The leader, apparently it was her farewell show before she moves, was the most highly decorated.


But the show wasn't just bellydancing... there was also a trapeze artist. Yes. Not Pink, but still.



It was really one of those shows where I had to keep reminding myself that I was still in Nashville. And that if my friend, the dancer/Pilates instructor, says that bellydancing is really hard, then it's probably impossible for me. I think I'll stick with the Series of Five and maybe move on to Zumba or Hooping.
Oh, and this is yoga dance:


But in comparison to the bellydancers... I mean, those girls brought out swords. And balanced them on their heads. Enough said. I highly recommend seeing this in person, because iPhone photos do not do it justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment