Thursday, May 27, 2010

End of May Gardening Update

So, I have gotten behind at this whole blogging thing. I blame travel, which is a great blog subject, but I'm feeling behind in work and don't want to spend computer time doing personal stuff -- and don't want to spend personal time on the computer. It is summer, after all.

I was in Chicago the week before last, Indianapolis last week, Atlanta this weekend and New York the following week. While I have a moment to breathe, I thought I'd stop and update my loyal (ha) readers on my gardening endeavors.



My mom came last weekend to give me some advice and the disappointing news that the weeds I can't get rid of are Bermuda grass. I pull and pull and half the time I can't get to the bottom of them -- because they were in my dirt beforehand, and they are coming up from the ground. Once they get big enough, it's easier to pull them out and get the root, but most of the time they just break off and I give up. Apparently they can probably choke out most of my garden, so that stinks.




But in the meantime, I have started eating lettuce, kale and spinach from my garden. I promise, it just tastes so much better when you grow it yourself.

So far, my only casualty veggie-wise are the onions. I did actually use part of one onion, but the bulb was about an eighth the size it was supposed to be. And the rest died. Sad. RIP, onions.

Everything else is looking promising, as long as the Bermuda grass and bugs don't kill them. I've planted tomatoes – cherry tomatoes, brandywine yellow, celebrity and mortgage lifter – and I've been using this fertilizer from the tomato-plant seller at Turnip Truck. She calls it "Mater Aid," and it's something gross like fish emulsion and tea, but it appears to be working.


I've also planted squash, zucchini, broccoli, eggplant and peppers since I last updated here. The eggplant and squash are looking awesome. My mom moved two of my squash plants to another bed so they'd have more room (I'm still learning how big plants are actually going to get), and now the big ones that weren't moved are flowering! My peas are rocking, too. They're slowing figuring out the trellis situation.



Of course, all these photos are from the day before my mom came, and my garden looks even better now. Minus all that dreadful Bermuda grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment