Sunday, January 2, 2011

Books I Read in 2010

Thanks to GoodReads, I can actually keep up with this sort of thing.

Books I read in 2010 (in order of date read) (bold = my favorites):
1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium #1) by Sieg Larsson
2. Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris
3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
5. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
6. The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2) by Stieg Larsson
7. A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
8. Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse #2) by Charlaine Harris
9. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
10. Little Bee by Chris Cleave
11. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
12. Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #3) by Charlaine Harris
13. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium #3) by Stieg Larsson
14. Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse #4) by Charlaine Harris
15. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
16. Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse #5) by Charlaine Harris
17. My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler
18. One Day by David Nicholls
19. Rework by Jason Fried
20. Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
21. Just Kids by Patti Smith

Books I reread in 2010:
Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows (before seeing the movie, to refresh my memory)

Books I started reading but never finished (and the reasons why):
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (short stories, I was getting depressed and quit about 3/4 of the way through)
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb (I was getting depressed and disgusted and gave up about five chapters in)
A Soft Place To Land by Susan Rebecca White (I was getting depressed)
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (only read the first two chapters and keep putting it on the back burner even though a dear friend says it's her favorite book of all time)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (started it on vacation, and it's MIA)


Book I'm reading right now:
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (I started this and Just Kids at the same time, apparently I'm on a New York City in the 1970s kick)

I realize that if you cut out the literary equivalent of junk food – Chelsea Handler and the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) books – my list isn't that impressive. And I did jump on the Stieg Larsson bandwagon, but once you get through the boring Winnerstrom part at the beginning of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, they are extremely addictive. But I did read some incredible, well-written novels (and two whole nonfiction books), and I have a huge stack to get me through next year.


Books to read in 2011 (that are already in my possession):
The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee
Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham
The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman
Follies by Ann Beattie
Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
The Unknown Errors of Our Lives by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
The Forms of Water by Andrea Barrett
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Bloodroots by Amy Greene
Nora Jane by Ellen Gilchrist
Palo Alto by James Franco (yes, that James Franco)
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Resolution for 2011: Read more than 21 books. I'm going to be realistic and admit that I won't read all of these (all are from my mom, mostly from when I needed some literature for a cruise vacation and she thought I would want to add 15 pounds to my luggage), but I am going to read more this year then I did last year. Starting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment