Sunday, April 17, 2011

Springing Forward in the Garden

The dogwoods and redbuds are in bloom, the lawnmowers are out and about, the tornado sirens go off once a week.... it's officially spring.

Some random bush thing our home's predecessors planted – whatever it is, it's pretty!


Around the end of March, I planted some spinach, chard and lettuce in my raised beds. Then, last weekend my mom came up and we planted more:

Kale
Mesclun mix
Asian stir-fry mix (that's what she labeled it... I don't know)
Carrots

So I should be enjoying some tasty salads in a few weeks. In fact, the lettuce has started sprouting already:


I also have about a third of each raised bed filled with garlic, which I planted last fall. Apparently it still won't be ready until June, but it's monstrous.



My mom also planted onions (yellow, I think) interspersed with the garlic. I guess those are good companion plants. She said as the onions grow, we'll have to pick some and use the greens (as in chives).

baby onions, giant garlic and a hyacinth I forgot I planted last year

In addition to the greens, my mom also brought me a new rose bush and tulip magnolia tree to replace the big tree we lost due to straight-line winds a few weeks ago. Still has a few blooms on it:



You can also see my new screen door (and Lola, who hasn't figured it out). New favorite thing is having the door open while it rains. Love the sound/smell of spring rain. Although I am not into this 50-degree weather we're having....

No comments:

Post a Comment